Marmon Motor Car Co. This set of papers date from June 14, 1907 to July 31, 1935, and consists of reorganization papers and Annual Domestic Corporation Reports. The papers state that the company was incorporated on June 24, 1876; extended on June 26, 1913; and reorganized on May 27, 1931. The original directors were: Walter C. Marmon – b. 1872, President; Howard C. Marmon – b. 1877, Secretary; Charles C Hauch – b. 1868, treasurer; Elizabeth C. Marmon – b.1849, mother of Walter & Howard and wife of Daniel W. Harmon. Daniel, b. 1845, had joined the Nordyke company, which manufactured milling machinery, in 1866. His sons, Walter & Howard, built their first automobile in 1902. Their factory was at 1101 W. Morris St., Indianapolis. The Marmon Wasp, built and driven by Marmon Co. engineer Ray Haroun, won the first Indianapolis 500 automobile race in 1911. The Marmon Motor Car Co. produced luxury autos and stopped production in the mid-1930s due to the Depression.
Meridian Hills Development Co., incorporated from April 23, 1915 to 1925, and its office was located at 506 Lombard Building. “The objective of the formation and promotion of this corporation is to buy, sell and lease lands, buildings and other structures thereon, and to erect dwellings and other buildings or structures on lands leased or purchased, including the conduct of a publicity campaign to aid in the development and sale of the real estate which may be held by said corporation or others.” Meridian Hills is a two- square mile development of 715 upper-middle class homes on the north side of Indianapolis. The town of Meridian Hills was incorporated in 1937. According to its Wikipedia website: “residential construction began in the town in the early 1920s”. The Development Company’s directors were: Edward J. Robison -b. 1856, coal company operator; Edward D. Kingsbury – b.1868, an Irvington resident, fertilizer manufacturer; Bert G. Boyd – b. 1872, grain broker; Edward G. Hereth – b. 1870, V.P. of a piano company; Walter S. Johnson – b. 1867, real estate agent; Harry L. Robbins – b.1884, real estate agent; J. Edward Morris – b.1881, real estate agent.
The Grand Hotel Company, incorporated on September 20, 1892. The purpose of the company was “the carrying on of a hotel known as the ‘Grand Hotel’.”This luxury hotel was located on the southeast corner of Maryland and Illinois Streets. The site originally was the Mason Hotel, built in the 1850s, but was extensively remodeled and renamed the Grand Hotel in 1875. This hotel became the headquarters for the local Democrat Party for many years. A Steak N Shake restaurant is now at that location, and is across the street from the entrance to the Circle Centre Mall. The incorporators in 1892 were: William Foor – proprietor of the hotel; Chester C. Foor – a clerk at the hotel; David B. Brenneke – proprietor of a dancing acadamy at 82 1/2 N. Pennsylvania Ave. and lived at the hotel; Robert G. Harseim – manufactured overalls at 202 S. Meridian St.; William B. Armendt – a dentist living in Owensboro, Kentucky. A few years later Tom Taggart, the Democratic Mayor of Indianapolis, became the owner of the Grand Hotel.